Monday, April 16, 2012


Q: Hello Mr. Waller. Can you give us information on where you are from and maybe some background information on you and your family?

A: Well, I was born. May 21, 1904 in Harlem, New York. I was born into a family that consisted of many fairly well established musicians. My grand-father was a very well known violinist and my mother was one of my church's organists when I was young. My father on the other hand, was a preacher who wasn't to fond of my love for music. My father hoped that I would some day follow in his footsteps and become a preacher just like him. In spite of his plans for me, I had other plans for myself. I wanted to play music. Music was and still is my passion.

My mother died when I was a young man and at the start of my career. She meant the world to me. She also was my first organ teacher. She taught me how to play organ when I was about 5. She was one of the early inspirations that I had when I was younger. It was a hard time for me when she died, but that helped me in writing my music.

Q: What events happened early in your life that inspired you to get involved in the arts?

A: When I was younger, my mother played the organ at my church. I often times watched her and was really inspired by her abilities to play music. She was one of the main reasons I play music now. Not too long after my mother began to teach me how to play the organ, I began to play at my church.At the age of 15, I was then introduced to the position to be able to play at the Harlem Silent Movie Theater. This was my first paying gig. I received 23 dollars a week. Then, I thought that was "real" money. Once I realized how much money musicians were able to make from little things like that, it made me want to take my career to another level. (Blue)

When I was younger, my father took me to see Paderewski in concert. At that moment, I was inspired but at the same time my father was thinking that it would be nearly impossible for a young African-American male in the early 1900s to play classical music. I believed I could do it, but in the end, I played what I enjoyed the most, which was jazz music. (Popa )

Q: How did mentors and other influential people in your life help you to cultivate your talents and make you who you are today?

A: A lot of my mentors are in the music world. One of the main influences I've had was my mother. She was the one who initially introduced me to the music world. I love her for that. Also my secondary main influence was my piano teacher, James P. Johnson. Mr. Johnson influenced me at an early age. It was his song Carolina Shout that won me a piano competition when I was 15 years old. Another one of my mentors actually happen to be Art Tatum. He was a rue inspiration to me. Whenever I was playing in a bar or club and Tatum would walk in, I would say "I play piano, but God is in the house tonight!" These people inspired me to be the musician I am today. They really set a great example for me. I really appreciate their hard work and setting a high bar for me to meet.

Q: What was the art of music like when you first entered the scene?

A: At the time when I made my big break in the music industry, the Harlem Renaissance was on the verge of ending, and the Great Depression was ending, so at that time period I was in competition with a lot of other musicians that had hopes of being a great musician. That was the time where I feel I worked the hardest in my whole career. I did everything I could to get out into the music world. But, during that time, there was lots of great pianists, vocalists, poets and many more. In Harlem, the whole African-American community wanted to show that our people have talent to offer to the world and that we're just as talented as any Caucasian. During that time period, jazz music then became swing music, which helped revived the country.

Q: How did the different cultural, economic and political situations impact your music?

A: As far as cultural situations, there was major differences between the culture of African-Americans and the culture of Caucasians. Caucasians never really listened to jazz or blues music. During that time period anything that was made by African Americans was...I guess you could say, "overlooked". Then when the Great Depression hit in the 1920s, the nation began to come together as one and support one another. Economic situations as i mentioned were not as good as I personally or many others would have wanted. Families struggled to survive. Family owned businesses closed down due to the economy going down hill. My family suffered, but fortunately we weren't affected to bad by the Depression. Politically, the nation was just trying to rebuild. It was hard but we made it through.

Q: What were your main accomplishments and the methods you used in your art?

A: I have performed with some of the worlds greatest jazz performers such as Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong. There's many more that I have had the opportunity to work with.

Q: What were the key opportunities you had that led to your breakthrough in the arts and life in general?

A: My big break which changed my whole life was when I was performing at a party that George Gershwin threw in 1934. There was an executive of Victor Records at the party who signed me to the label. From that point on, my career skyrocketed and I went from performing locally to performing nationally. From New York to New Orleans to Italy to France and many more. I believe I was blessed to experience the things I have experienced in life. Whether good or bad, because it made me who I am today.

Q: What hardships did you have to overcome in order to be an artist?

A: I don't really want to go into detail about the things that I had to overcome to become who I am today. In a quick summary, I did have a major drinking problem and I overcame it. It took a lot of hard work, but I knew what that I needed to do it in order to start to live my life healthier.

Q: Who are some people you admire and why?

A: My main admiration would have to be my mother. She was a strong, courageous, wonderful woman that loved me and did the best she could to raise me up the right way. My mother played an important part in my music career. Honestly, if she hadn't taught me the basics of music, I have no clue if I would be playing music like I am today. Another person I admire is Mr. Johnson. He was an outstanding musician, teacher and person. He taught me everything I needed to know in order to succeed in this music industry. He was a mentor to me. He gave me advice on what to do if I didn't know what decision to make musically. Art Tatum, is really another person I really admire. He was an amazing musician as well. I looked up to him and wanted to learn from him. He has really impacted my life in a positive way. There are many more people that I admire but those are the main ones I really admire.

Q: What personal stories best illustrate how you became successful in the arts?

A: Like I previously stated, the best moment in my life that led to a drastic change in my life was when I was signed to Victor Records.

Well thanks for your time Mr. Waller. Have a wonderful day.


Cites
. 1920s Fashion & Music. N.p., 2007. Web. March 1, 2012. <http://www.1920s-fashion-and-music.com/1920s-music.html>.
Beckford, Avil. "The Invisible Mentor." Fats Waller. N.p., 26 oct 2011. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://theinvisiblementor.com/tag/fats-waller/>.
. Big Band Library. N.p., 2004. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.bigbandlibrary.com/fatswaller.html>.
. "Biographies." Fats Waller. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.pbs.org/jazz/biography/artist_id_waller_fats.htm>.
. "Famous People." Fats Waller. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/fats-waller-320.php>.
. Fats Waller. N.p., 1942. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://cms.westport.k12.ct.us/cmslmc/music/jazzbios/fatswaller.htm>.
. Fats Waller. N.p., 2000. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://jcarl.simonetti.pagesperso-orange.fr/fats_life.html>.
. Fats Waller. N.p., 2005. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.1920-30.com/music/>.
. Fats Waller. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://alevy.com/waller.htm>.
. Fats Waller. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.blackpast.org/?q=aah/waller-thomas-wright-fats-1904-1943>.
Fox, Charles. Kings of Jazz: Fats Waller. New York: A.S. Barnes and Company, Inc, 1961. Print.
Kirkeby, Ed. Ain't Misbehavin'. New York: Da Capo Press, Inc., 1966. Print.
Machlin, Paul. "The Music of Fats Waller." Fats Waller. N.p., 2002. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://newarkwww.rutgers.edu/ijs/fw/music.htm>.
Morrison, Nick. "npr music." Stride Piano: Bottom-End Jazz. N.p., 12 Apr 2010. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.npr.org/2010/04/12/125689840/stride-piano-bottom-end-jazz>.
Pear, Nancy. Fats Waller. N.p., 1992. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Fats_Waller.asp&xgt;.
Rowen, Beth, and Borgna Brunner. "Great days in Harlem."Fats Waller. N.p., 2007. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmharlem1.html>.
Sill, Jr, Harold. Misbehavin' With Fats. Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1978. Print.
. "SOLID." Fats Waller. N.p., 1996. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.parabrisas.com/d_wallerf.php>.
. "The Great Depression." Fats Waller. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.pbs.org/jazz/time/time_depression.htm>.
. Thomas "Fats" Waller. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar 2012. <http://www.redhotjazz.com/fats.html>.
Waller, Maurice. Fats Waller. New York: A Division of Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc., 1977. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment